It’s been some time since I last contributed. It’s not been for the lack of thinking about it. In honesty, the enthusiasm just hasn’t been there which led to a feeling of guilt (for lack of contribution for those who do read) which then became plain embarrassing and took further chinks out of any motivation…
Such has life been for some 6 months, a fairly detrimental cycle that has been known by “loser’s loop” at my previous employment or “being stuck in a rut” to the rest of us.
The time has come to try and break that cycle. An enjoyable weekend of mountain biking in Northern Ireland recently saw me huff and puff my way round some beautiful country landscapes, on well-invested, constructed and maintained trails… The emphasis was on huff and puff by the way.*
It feels like I’ve had a fair kicking in some aspects of my life of these last few months and my health has taken the biggest beating of all in that time. But I don’t want to bang on about that. I want to seek advice and tips on what others find useful to pull themselves out of any such rut. Are there quick wins, strategic approaches, mental exercises that you have tried successfully? (or not – always good to know what to avoid!)
My main concern now is to get back into shape. I find it is too easy to fall into lethargy, and I am by no means a lazy kind of guy, but bad eating habits, alcohol and lack of sleep lend to weariness, weight gain and a suffering immune system pretty quickly.
My approach so far? Small steps.
1. Running – for those days when I don’t have the time I would like to have to exercise (also trying HITS)
2. Making time once a week for that big cycle ride that a. I really enjoy, and b. pushes me to my limit
3. Drink less – a given… but when you love Guinness as much as I do…
4. Cook more, eat less takeaway… don’t keep falling for the “it’s quicker”
Oh yeah and No. 5 – sleep more…
On that note….
* But do get yourself to Northern Ireland at the first chance you get; in particular the Castlewellan Forest Park, Tollymore Park and for the more adventurous head for the Rostrevor trails!